Rideshare companies, like Uber or Lyft, are supposed to provide a safe, convenient method of transportation. Unfortunately, making it safely to your destination doesn’t always happen. If you were injured in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and even pain and suffering. Attorney Harry H. Albritton, a rideshare accident lawyer in New Bern, NC will work with you to navigate the complexities of these kinds of cases, striving to secure a favorable outcome so you can move forward after the accident with confidence in your future.
Determining Liability in a Rideshare Accident
Whether you were a passenger in the rideshare or were in another vehicle involved in the collision in which the rideshare driver was at fault, these accidents are particularly challenging as they involve commercial vehicles without the protections of collisions involving commercial transportation such as a bus or taxi. Uber and Lyft drivers are independent contractors, so they aren’t required to have commercial insurance, but their personal auto insurance may not cover them while they’re working.
For these cases, both Uber and Lyft provide up to $1 mill in liability while the driver is working. This policy should cover damages if the rideshare driver was at fault. However, if another driver was at fault, they can be held accountable for your injuries.
What to Do After a Rideshare Accident
After an accident involving a rideshare vehicle, your first step should be to seek medical care to check for injuries. Often, adrenaline and shock after an accident can prevent you from determining if something is wrong, so it’s important to have a medical professional check for injuries, especially to the neck, head, and spinal cord. These injuries may go unnoticed for several days or longer but lead to limited mobility and chronic pain.
After seeking medical attention, follow these steps:
- Contact a rideshare attorney for a case consultation.
- Write down everything you can remember about the accident, including time, weather, and anything that may help determine fault and liability.
- Continue following medical advice, including taking necessary time off work to heal and getting follow-up care.
Working with a Rideshare Accident Attorney
Having a rideshare accident lawyer on your side after an accident helps you achieve a favorable outcome. While insurance companies may downplay your injuries, take statements out of context, or shift blame to another driver, Attorney Albritton and our legal team can fight back against the insurance companies. If we can’t obtain a fair settlement for your case, we aren’t afraid to go before a jury and fight for the damages you deserve.
We understand you’re facing medical bills and lost income, as well as the pain and trauma as you recover from your injuries. The future seems uncertain, but we’re on your side, guiding you through the process and putting all of our effort into the following:
- Setting a fair value on your case, factoring in future costs of lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.
- Negotiating with insurance companies for what you’re entitled to.
- Investigating the case, including analyzing accident reports, scene photos, and interviewing witnesses.
- Working with medical experts who can determine the extent of your injuries, prognosis, and how your future is impacted.
A Track Record of Success
We work for our clients to secure fair compensation and have a track record of success. Our verdicts and settlements include:
- $850,000 to a former airline pilot who suffered a head injury during a low-speed automobile accident.
- $300,000 to a college student who sustained orthopedic injuries after his motorcycle was forced off the road by a negligent driver changing lanes.
- $100,000 to a client who suffered orthopedic injuries after being struck by a driver who ran a stop sign.
Schedule a Consultation with a Rideshare Accident Attorney in New Bern, NC
If you have been injured after an accident involving an Uber, Lyft, or other rideshare company, we will fight to get you the damages you deserve. Reach out to our team today at 252-320-7399 or fill out our contact form to schedule a case consultation.